7/10/13

Schizophrenia and Big Wheels

Day 8

     Today I was really tested in Psychology and my comfort with mental illness. Steph owns a care home for people with mental illness, but especially Schizophrenia. I'm not allowed to use names but I will tell you about the people I met.

         The first person I met has been in care homes since he was 13 years old. He had called Steph "Charlotte" earlier in the day, and he seemed pleased to know that I was a real Charlotte. He was so nice and quiet; he said I had beautiful eyes and that he had golden eyes. He was new to the home, and had only lived there for a week or so. He had to leave his other home because kids kept taking his cigarettes, and he finally yelled at them. Of course the parents took their kid's sides and he was moved to Riviera Court. 

       Then I met a hippy lady with very long dreadlocked hair. She loved my chevron bracelet and we got to talking about California and how she'd always wanted to go! She was very interested in getting to know me and about my family.

       I was introduced to another man who had met someone from San Diego. We talked about San Francisco and California. He was the nicest man I've ever met. He waved to Steph and I as we were pulling out of the driveway!

       Even though all of these people had Schizophrenia, they were very nice and interesting. It was such a great experience and makes me start to think about what I may want to do with my life.  We had our lunch in the home, Lasagna! After lunch we headed to Babbacobme for an ice cream. I had black current and clotted cream, though it sounds disgusting, it was officially the best ice cream I've ever had.


Day 9

      Had to get up again today!!! I went with Steph and Rick to start working on Torquay Festival! We met with the street warden, John at a cafe on the harbor. Then Rick had a meeting with Karl, a youth group leader, to try to get kids to come and help build a cardboard tower.


        The designer Olivier created this tower at Glastonbury Festival, the Torquay statue will be the clock tower. It is such an exciting project and I'm sad I can help out and participate. After a quick power nap we went to Torquay Town Council to check everything over with a representative or someone. While walking out of the Town Council, we saw people sitting at desks watching traffic cameras. WE KNOW WHERE YOU ARE!

       When Stevie got home from school Wayne, Steph, Stevie and I went aroung the big ferris wheel. There was no line so they sent us around 4 times. To be honest I was done after the first time around.



      For dinner we had Pizza Hut, which is much better here than in the US. Thats all for now Folks xoxooxx


No comments:

Post a Comment